There are 12 big chemicals used in personal beauty products that are harmful to us such as carcinogens, pesticides, reproductive toxins, and hormone disruptor's. Yes, hormone disruptor's. You think you are looking more girly when applying that foundation...but in reality you could be end up looking like a man. (Okay, I am over exaggerating a little bit.) But seriously, these chemicals are not things that you should be putting on your face and we all, including me, have made that mistake for the sake of beauty.
Here are the dirty dozen.
1. BHA & BHT - These are mostly found in lipsticks and moisturizers. Long-term exposure to high doses of BHT is toxic in mice and rats, causing liver, thyroid and kidney problems and affecting lung function and blood coagulation. Fun. Can't wait to put some of my red lipstick on.
4. Dibutyl Phthalate - This is found in a lot of nail products. DBP is absorbed through the skin and it can enhance the capacity of other chemicals to cause genetic mutations. Not fun, not fun at all. Definitely checking all of my nail polishes.
6. Formaldehyde-Releasing Preservatives - Used in a bunch of different cosmetics. It slowly releases small amounts of formaldehyde, which causes cancer. Yay.
8. PEG Compounds - Used in cosmetic creams, and again, could potentially lead to cancer.
10. Siloxanes - Used in cosmetics to "smooth". These have been a suspected endocrine disruptor and reproductive toxicant. Not to mention, harms wild-life.
11. Sodium Laureth Sulfate - Found in shampoos and body wash like products. These can lead to cancer as well.
12. Triclosan - This is used in antibacterial cosmetics, such as toothpastes and deodorants.
And they may contribute to antibiotic resistance. That means that the bacteria will LOVE you.
-- Now, this is all "worst-case-scenario". But it is something to think about when you go out and by your cosmetics. I went through my make-up and most all of my products had at least one of these in them. So, think before you shop, my friends.
Info from: http://www.davidsuzuki.org/issues/health/science/toxics/dirty-dozen-cosmetic-chemicals/index.php