Pages

7.12.11

recipe: rainbow jar cake.


Okay guys, it was Erika's birthday the other day and I decided I would make her a yummy cake. 
And what makes a yummy cake even better? A rainbow, yummy cake. 
And what makes a rainbow, yummy cake better?
A rainbow, yummy cake in a jar. 

That's right, a rainbow jar cake. Better believe it.

It turned out wonderfully and she loved it. So since it was such a hit and it is so freakin' cute I decided I would give you guys the recipe. So here ya go! 



Ingrediants

  • 1 Betty Crocker Super Moist white cake mix
  • 1 Tub Betty Crocker Whipped Ready to Spread white frosting
  • 3 egg whites (for cake mix)
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil (for cake mix)
  • 1 1/4 cup water (for cake mix)
  • Betty Crocker NEON food colors in neon pink, neon blue and neon purple
  • Regular food colors in yellow, green, red and blue
  • 4 (1-quart) jars. ( I used one jar and used the rest of the batter in a bread pan, though.)
  • Non-stick cooking spray





Directions


1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2: Make the cake batter according to the jar.
3: Divide the batter into 5 bowls.


4: Add your selected colors!



5: Then pour about a forth of a cup of each color batter in layers in the jar. (Make sure to spray it with cooking spray before hand though!)
6: Place the jars in a glass pan that is filled with 1/4 inch of water.
7: Bake for 45-50 minutes. (When the cakes are done they should spring back to the touch)


8: Let it cool completely, then add icing and pretty sprinkles! 



And there you have it! So cute, right? (But make sure to wipe off the batter inside the jar, I kind of forgot, but it still turned out cute!)


Here's the other cake, if you were interested in that. 




Isn't it so pretty?! I'm thinking about making a red and green one for Christmas! 


25 comments:

  1. OMG how fun is that! I've always wanted to try this, but wasn't sure how hehe. Love the jar idea! I think i'll also try this for the holidays. thnx for sharing! :)

    xoAndrea
    http://gofeastyourself.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. I was totally planning on making that exact thing for my friends for Christmas. Psychic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh my gosh I LOOOVE this! So freakin' cute. I just found your blog & have been stalking it the past like half hour haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, looks divine! If you try the missing marshmallows, let me know :) Happy to be following ya now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's so cool! I love this.

    Grace
    http://herumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is so interesting! i am still imagining how you eat the cake at the bottom of the jar! i guess a really big spoon or a rubber spatula would work. and eating cake with a spatula is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. whoa, this looks amazing. definitely need to try!

    xoxo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Looks so fun!! Might try it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow this is so cool never seen anything like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so fun! I bet it would be really fun to make this with little ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how you put together your ideas in this blog.

    http://paquetevistasbien.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha. That's awesome. I too am wondering how exactly to eat it. Plus, if it were me I'd be adding extra frosting as I went to keep the ratio 'equal'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love doing this!

    ♥ sécia
    www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. pretty! definitely make red and grene for christmas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Rach! Thanks so much for stopping by YummyMummyKitchen! This is so cute. Happily following your blog. have a great weekend!
    marina

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've wanted to do a rainbow cake forever, thanks for reminding me! Making a red and green one for Christmas sounds like a great idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the cutest idea! So creative, I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, this looks so amazing! xo

    www.almostdelightful.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the comment on my blog! This is so adorable, I love baking so I have to try it! Thanks for posting!

    That’s So Fletch
    xo, Jay

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is the most amazing cake recipe EVER!!!wooow....

    <3Amanda
    feast.fashion.faves
    Facebook
    Tweet Me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so fun. I have to wait until Kenzie is a little older so she will appreciate it.. or just make it because it's yummy :)


    J+C..and Kenzie

    ReplyDelete

WHAT? YOU are commenting on MY blog? How lucky am I? :)

If you want a faster answer to a question ask away on twitter! @sohirach